On Friday, April 8, 2016, the Rancho Cordova Police Department will conduct a DUI and Driver’s license checkpoint between 6:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. at an undisclosed location within Rancho Cordova City limits. Source: Sacramento Sheriff press release.
The officers will ask those stopped for their license and registration. The officers will briefly question each driver and look for signs of intoxication. These may include: alcohol in the vehicle, a smell of alcohol, slurred speech, and glassy or bloodshot eyes.
For reference, here is the map of the City of Rancho Cordova:
Remember that, under the case law, DUI checkpoints are constitutional if the authorities follow the guidelines. These guidelines are:
- Supervising officers must make all operational decisions.
- The criteria for stopping motorists must be neutral.
- The checkpoint must be reasonably located.
- Adequate safety precautions must be taken.
- The checkpoint’s time and duration should reflect “good judgment.”
- The checkpoint must exhibit sufficient indicia of its official nature.
- drivers should be detained a minimal amount of time.
- The roadblocks should be publicly advertised in advance.